Local historian, Gabriel Murphy has very kindly provided EWPG with a very interesting insight in respect of the area in and around Queen Street car park. The section of the map annotated as Gallagher's Garden is now the site of both the Library and Salvation Army buildings, and also where the Halls Lane car park is located. Formerly this vegetable garden was the pride and joy of two local brothers by the name of Gallagher, and was the subject of much admiration.
The area to the left of the garden was known as the Dardanelles. This term originated after the First World War owing to the number of men from these streets who fought in the campaign. The Inland Revenue, and Housing Executive buildings, together with Queen Street car park are now situated here.
The section of the map reproduced above is taken from a 1905 Ordnance Survey map of Enniskillen, which was also provided by Mr Murphy. We thank him most sincerely for his assistance and also for his interest in our campaign.